A national nuclear security organization with multiple sites across the United States required support in addressing compliance issues and the manageability of required documents.
Boston Government Services (BGS) provided cybersecurity services for the national nuclear security organization. BGS support resulted in major improvements to their cybersecurity program.
BGS worked with the client to define testing parameters and conducted an initial penetration test to determine the effectiveness of technical controls to prevent and respond to potential cybersecurity attacks. The test demonstrated BGS’ capabilities to find and remediate issues, resulting in a contract to provide long-term services with follow-on assessment activities. These activities included:
- Evaluating cybersecurity programmatic documentation and rewriting as needed to accurately reflect the current state of each cybersecurity control implementation
- Testing the implementation of cybersecurity controls and documenting as-is conditions with evidence
- Providing technical recommendations for addressing deficiencies
- Providing solutions to address compliance gaps and supporting the organization in successfully completing corrective actions to mitigate high cybersecurity risks
- Training the organization’s cybersecurity staff on key topics
BGS also performed information technology (IT) project management services, contributing to the IT portfolio of investments and supporting initiatives to improve data-gathering capabilities.
As a direct result of this work, the organization noted significant improvements in its cybersecurity program including consistency with national requirements and standards, the establishment of an inheritance architecture, and a 40% reduction in documentation to create a manageable document set.
Throughout the project, BGS operated in a transparent manner with federal oversight and routinely interacted with the Information Assurance and Response Center and other entities to ensure situational awareness. Upon completion of this project, BGS was awarded additional technical tasks including architecture and technology modernization efforts to migrate and consolidate legacy critical information systems into a new, sustainable platform.
For more information, please contact email@example.com