Nuclear Engineering & Operations
Technical services supporting projects from small modular reactor licensing and design to Deactivation and Decommissioning legacy facilities
Support all market segments in the nuclear fuel cycle and nuclear security industries
Ability to process, store, and transmit Controlled Unclassified information in the cloud and in our Oak Ridge, TN facility
DOE-accepted NQA-1 Quality Assurance Program allowing BGS Nuclear Safety teams to operate under client programs or under our own quality program and procedures
- Nuclear Safety Engineering
- Specialized Design Engineering
- Safeguards & Security
- Nuclear Operations Support
Nuclear Safety Engineering
Nuclear Safety Analysis
- Nuclear safety analysis for Hazard Category 2 and 3 nuclear facilities
- Hazards identification, screening, and evaluation
- Chemical and radiological dispersion and consequence analyses
- Fire modelling and fire hazards analysis
- Hazard control development and implementation
- DSA/TSR development and revision per DOE-STD-3009-2014
- Integrated Safety Analysis and Safety Analysis Report development for NRC-licensed facilities
- Safety analysis engineer training
Nuclear Criticality Safety Support
- NCS program development, implementation, and assessments
- Criticality code verification and validation
- NCS evaluations of fissile material operations per DOE-STD-3007-2017
- Criticality incredible (CI) determinations to support deactivation activities
- Criticality accident alarm system detector placement and shielding analysis
Specialized Design Engineering
BGS employees support multiple projects requiring custom, complex systems and equipment to be specified, procured, and/or operated. We bring the capability and talent to deliver the design of complex systems from conceptual design to turnover. In conjunction with our evaluated fabrication partners, BGS offers a one-stop shop for design, fabrication, testing, and installation of complex systems and equipment utilized in nuclear and non-nuclear processes.
Safeguards & Security
BGS is actively involved with sensitive government projects, information, and material subject to DOE Safeguards and Security requirements. Our capabilities and experience allow us to support all aspects of Safeguards & Security program orders, standards, and guides from program planning and implementation to evaluation/oversight.
- Program Management and Support
- Initial, Periodic, and Termination Survey Support
- Performance Assurance Program
- Risk Assessment (DOE and ISC) and Design Basis Threat Support
- FOCI/Facility Clearance
- Program and Procedure Development
- Physical Security Evaluations and Support
- Access and visitor control
- Intrusion Detection and Assessment Systems
- Barriers and Delays
- Performance Testing of Systems
- Personnel Security
- Access Authorizations
- Classified Visits
- Information Security
- Classification Guidance and Support
- Operations Security
- Classified Matter Protection and Control
- Protective Force
- Planning and Procedures
- Performance Testing
- Assessment Preparation and Consultation
- Emergency Management
Nuclear Operations Support
BGS understands and drives a commitment to quality, a questioning attitude, a strong nuclear safety culture, and disciplined operations.
- Training program development and implementation
- Operating procedures, CONOPS, and driver for rigorous safety culture
- Work planning and control
- Industrial safety and health
- Operational readiness and startup
Quality and Compliance
We use our compliant NQA-1 program to achieve exceptional performance, minimize performance risk, and maximize reliability.
- NQA-1 quality assurance program for safety software and engineering processes
- Compliant processes and approved facility for generation and handling of CUI
- Rigorous cost accounting and tracking system
- Project management and integration capability
Legacy uranium enrichment facilities in Piketon, Ohio, and Paducah, Kentucky, are undergoing deactivation and decontamination and decommissioning (D&D) to return the property for beneficial reuse. BGS developed Nuclear Criticality Safety (NCS) evaluations and analyses...
BGS manages the training program for federal staff members by developing and implementing training modules, delivering training courses, and tracking training requirements for the federal staff members.
BGS is providing complete design, fabrication, and testing for gas capture system as part of a new centrifuge technology for isotope production and other applications at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory Complete design, fabrication, and testing services under our...
BGS is supporting DOE EM HQ in the development and implementation of a Safeguards and Security Roadmap (SRM) The SRM is a transformational blueprint that will drive continuous process improvement of the nuclear security program, provide a method to address issues on a...
Developing NCS evaluations and analyses to allow characterization and deactivation activities at the former uranium enrichment facilities in Piketon, OH and Paducah, KY Developing the basis for criticality incredible for D&D activities at these facilities
The TCR, a new additive manufactured (3D-printed) Micro Reactor, is to be designed and demonstrated at ORNL as a proof of concept for advanced nuclear manufacturing technologies to reduce the deployment costs of new nuclear power generation. BGS supported early-stage...